Sunday 3 January 2016

Beautiful Byron Bay

After our nice relaxing time in Toowoomba, it was time to get back to the hostels, beaches and instant noodles. Byron Bay typically talked of as the super hippie town, known for the incredible surfing, lighthouse and special brownies. I experienced two of the three, I'll let you guess which ones.

We stayed at a hostel just outside the town, a minute away from the beach but far from our soon to be favourite spot, the Cheeky Monkey, and everything else.

Kay, that's enough of the suspense. Hopefully you guessed surfing and the lighthouse, in which case you'd be right. Surfing was incredible. I took a lesson since I had never done it before, they taught techniques and basic skills necessary for the art of surfing which lead me to getting up no problem, which was uber exciting. Me and Jennine caught a "party wave" (a wave with two or more people), what a satisfying feeling. I quickly fell in love. Trading snowboarding for surfing for a year isn't such a bad deal!

The hike up to the lighthouse was pretty extreme. Lotsa stairs. We were on the most easternly point in Australia, looking out upon the water watching turtles poke their heads above the water. What a gorgeous view it was, not only from the summit, but the whole way up! I had many freak outs on our way up, having to remind myself that this was indeed real life!

I also got to play beach soccer! Basically I was super insistent on going, and with some coaxing Jennine also decided to play. It was an organized game put on by some people we met at the Cheeky Monkey. I got the first goal! Showed them guys I wasn't messing around! We played three matches, had a win each, then tied the last game. We went to shootouts and lost, but Jennine's team won. Went to the after party and got free dinner and drinks! Was a fun time! Made a couple awesome friends, Laura from Denmark deserves a shout out! She's a real gem, the only other girl who played soccer with us!

Overall, Byron Bay was super good to me. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment