Saturday 7 May 2016

Camellia Gardens




The day before our epic adventures in the wilderness, I had an interview with a job agency in the City. The basis of the job would be traffic stopping people in department stores trying to promote/sell fragrances. It was the farthest I had got so far with job applications, so I pursued it, although from the start I was pretty leery about it. After a group interview of 14 people, I was convinced I was the lease qualified person there and didn't expect to be called back for a second interview. Well, lo and behold they asked me to come back and offered me the job! I decided they just wanted me 'cause I'm foreign and have an accent since 5/6 of us were from abroad. After learning about everything that was required of me for this position, I didn't even have the honeymoon of being excited. Plus, there were meticulous grooming standards, none of which I approved of.

After my first day, I went home and ranted about how awful it all was and that I'd finish the 3 shifts they had given me for the week, but after that, I was DONE. And I was serious. Tom (my host dad) found the whole thing hilarious, thinking I was just being terribly dramatic. But it was that bad. After day two, I got a call from the agency asking me to cover 3 more days the following week, I was trying to find excuses to decline, but I had a weak moment and gave in.

I had mentioned to Pete I was in need of some solid fun times after my first few days of pure torture, so that weekend he arranged to go for brunch at the Camellia Gardens Teahouse in Caringbah. Everyone was interested to hear about my new job, so I gave them the DL... but they were not very compassionate. I told them I had to cake my face with make up wearing bright red lip stick and smokey eye make up, slick my hair back into a pony tail and wrap the elastic with hair to hide it, and wear 2 inch heels. They were like "So basically you're a model and you're complaining about it." Raaaaaaage! Ahhhh! Nobody understood. My mom had called me to video chat after a shift one day and she didn't even recognize me... that's how different I looked.

Sarah, Mae, Pete and I at the Camellia Gardens.
Anyways, the Camellia Gardens were gorgeous. After we had a bite to eat we went for a stroll through the park. There were geckos crawling across the foot path, ducks and geese in the streams, and jovial cries of laughter from deep within our chests. Johno, Sarah, Maegan Pete and myself decided to continue the party in Cronulla at the Simon's apartment unit. We talked about all the things we could do, but ended up just hanging out and talking for most of the arvo. Eventually we ventured out to the beach and rock hopped along the ocean. It was the perfect remedy for a rough past couple days. We eventually decided on a cuisine for dinner, and got noodle bowls from Thai Face. I tried 'Pad See Ew' for the first time, no regret! Was delish. Sarah had gone to Mass, but joined up with us again after dinner as we headed back to the unit. We played a quick game of Smegal and headed home before too late. It was exactly what I needed: good friends and fun times :)


Rock hopping in Cronulla.

No comments:

Post a Comment