Wednesday 14 October 2015

Embracing the Little Things

It's 11:25pm, the night before I depart on what some might call 'An Adventure of a Lifetime'. I decided it might be a little easier to keep up with y'all while I'm in 'the land down under' if wrote a blog. The last time I wrote a blog I was 12 years old, so forgive me if my writing is factual, not creative and descriptive. This time 'round though, I hope to share insights of, not only my trip to Australia, but also just relishing in the life I have been given. Throughout the past few years, I have begun to see life through new eyes.. God has created so much beauty in the world, so why not go explore it! Life is short. Revel in His delight. Love lots, smile often and do everything for His greater glory! CELEBRATE life!

"Heaven is the greatest party of all time, so we better start practicing now!" - Rend Collective

Formal dinner, right before team announcements!
Tomorrow, a whole new chapter begins. I am beyond excited to share this journey with two friends, both whom are so close to my heart.

Sarah, from Lethbridge, AB, toured across Canada with me and 8 others while we were missionaries serving with NET Canada in 2011-12. We hit it off from the start, often being the only girls playing sports with the guys, and were pleasantly surprised to find each other on the same team! We grew so much during this year together, fighting through thick and thin to become the friends we are today. Sarah has constantly encouraged me in faith, to try and become the best version of ourselves. When I told her I had decided to spend several months in Australia, she replied with "I'm coming with you." it was so matter-of-factly. A few days later she confirmed, and got her visa before I did! Stoked to share another adventure with her - only this time, Canada's not gunna cut it. So we're going abroad! :)

Ocho Libre, Saskatoon Ultimate 2014-15
I am beyond excited to reveal my next travel-buddy. She hails from Saskatoon, SK and goes by Jennine (or Beans, or Jen). I've known Jennine since December 11th, 2013. I had just moved to Saskatoon, and was at a friends birthday celebration at BP's on 8th St. I didn't know many people yet, but I knew somehow, without really even talking with her, that I wanted to be friends with Jennine. We ended up having lots of mutual friends, but in order to ensure hangout time, I got a job at her work! If you happen to have the pleasure of knowing Jennine, you'd know that her smile makes flowers grow in the bitterly-cold winters of Saskatchewan. Yeah, just imagine that for a minute. Anyways, we became super tight, but after spending Valentine's day together, we knew it was a friendship for the books. Ended up playing some epic indoor ultimate together the following year, as well many countless games of Settlers of Catan (which I am definitely bringing on our trip, for all of you who were wondering how I'd spend 6 months without it). To my surprise, a month or so after inviting Jennine to come to 'Stralia with me, SHE SAID YES! Boom.



So basically we are going to have the time of our lives. Please keep us all in your prayers as we gallivant across the beautiful country I've wanted to visit since I was 9 years old - after watching Season 2 of Survivor.

Off to bed! :)
G'night!

-Silken

P.S. Enjoy the length of this post, cause I'm sure the rest will be far shorter!

No comments:

Post a Comment